Friday, January 6, 2012

Laptop or desktop?

You know what I had to use the other day at work? A floppy drive and diskette. They don't even make computers with floppy drives anymore! But alas, when dealing with XP, SATA drives, and RAID controllers, sometimes you need a floppy drive. At least it was a USB floppy. That stupid computer took me all day to get working right. It can be frustrating when you think something will only take a couple of hours and then it takes the whole day. At least work goes by quickly!

My computer, which was setup at my grandma's, is still not setup at the apartment. The way my desk is now I don't have that much room and as far as computers go, it is really outdated. My phone might be as fast as it is! I really want something that I can play the next wave of games, do my bills and such, media, movies, etc. It doesn't need to be super fast or have a super-high framework for games either. Just enough to play Diablo 3, which comes out in March. I built this computer about 8 or 9 years ago and it has served its purpose, so I think a replacement is not out of the question and is in fact justifiable. Computers are my profession so it definitely helps to have a decent one at home. The question is, do I go laptop or desktop? I have been wavering between the two ever since they announced Diablo 3. Every time I think I've made up my mind, I change it. A laptop would be nice because it would be portable (obviously) and could be just as powerful as a desktop as far as gaming. When I am at home, I would just hook it up to my LCD, keyboard and mouse, and then could take it with me for mobile gaming and such. The problem is, a decent gaming laptop is expensive, probably close to $2000. You could build a comparable laptop for a third of that price. For the price of a laptop, you could build one screaming fast desktop. The desktop is not mobile, but even a cheap one gives you a lot of options for upgrading in the future. And with the baby coming, cheap is better. Or maybe not at all is better. Time will tell. Being a Dad is more important than gaming and probably won't leave much time for it either. I'm taking a break from Magic as well. My last tournament was a Top 8 performance at FNM at Die Hard Games on New Year's Eve.

No comments: