Monday, October 3, 2011

Missing the Trail

For some reason, I really miss the trail today. I don't know if it is the rainy weather or all the forest around me, but I miss the trail. I miss the excitement of when we first started out and almost missed our bus to Georgia and of our first weeks hiking through trees that still had no leaves. The excitement of staring out at a beautiful landscape from atop a wind blown mountain top and the glorious feeling of climbing inside a warm sleeping bag after a hard day. Everyday was something new, a new challenge, a new beauty to behold. I understand that humans are nostalgic creatures and that maybe it does get boring on the trail after a while, but I still miss it. Perhaps it is also because we picked up Joy's new car today, which means we are committed to paying it off for the next few years, which means no more long trips...ah the real world. There is a certain romantic feeling that goes along with the trail, and Joy and I both miss it. A certain excitement that the real world doesn't provide for us right now. I know that when we have kids there will be a whole new excitement though, a new reason for living, for going about the daily grind. And I look forward to it.

No comments: