Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Home from NY and onto CT

Let me start out by saying that we are now living in Bozrah, Connecticut with my Grandma. We will be staying here for a few months until we both start working and get an apartment again, hopefully in Warwick, close to both our parents. We arrived here yesterday and are still working on getting settled in. We moved a bookshelf and a desk up from our cache downstairs and I think we have plenty of space and such now. We both have a desk to work on although I have not got my computer up and running yet. My grandma has wireless so I will need to get a wireless adapter for the box before I can get online. Hopefully soon though so I can start working on my book among other things.

Speaking of wireless, I felt like an idiot today because I could not hook up my netbook or droid to it. I stupidly copied down only 9 digits of the 10 digit password and XP was yelling at me, saying you need 10 digits stupid! So I asked my Grandma what the password was, explaining about the 10 digits and how I only had 9, and she quickly counted and said it was indeed 10 digits! Whoops, guess I can't read too good! The first thing you do when troubleshooting technical issues is to look for the obvious stuff: is it plugged in, turned on, etc. Guess I need to follow my own rules!

The ride home from Marathon, NY on Sunday was a lot of fun. Ok, maybe it was not a lot of fun, considering my shoulders are hurting a few days later. Google called for a ride of 5.5 hours, 315 miles. We started out at 9:45am and didn't arrive at my parents house in RI until 6:55pm. Many breaks and stops were taken, including a stop at Howe Caverns in NY. I didn't realize that place was such a tourist mecca! There were tons of people there. I saw signs for it off the highway and ended up stopping there as it was about time for lunch. The tour looked interesting but we decided not to do it this time. There was still plenty of miles left and wanted to get home sooner rather than later. We did eat lunch though before taking off until the sunset...I mean cloudset?

As we were riding we started approaching some storm clouds. It had been sunny all day until now and a few drops fell on us, but nothing major. We stopped at a reststop for a bit and the clouds moved on. Soon we ran into them again though. Just as we got off our bikes and into the next rest stop it started raining. Good timing! Luckily this time the storm was moving away from us instead of chasing us. So many times on our AT hike the storms seemed to catch up with us, storm on us, then follow us as we hiked. Today was different though. We had a place to shelter from the rain and the clouds were moving away from us. A great Android application for checking out the weather radar is Radar Now. It is a simple, lightweight app that displays the Doppler radar for your location, determined by either GPS or cell tower location. It shows a time-lapse map so you can see where the storm is moving, quite helpful. Everytime we stopped I checked it out and we were always right on the edge of the storm. So we waited it out, the storm passed, and we rode home, storm free!

So ends one of our last big adventures for now. Tomorrow is a small adventure though, sailing!


Chillin with some Harleys

Future Rider!

No comments: