Saturday, September 17, 2011

New craze...Legos?

I used to love Legos when I was a kid. I had a whole bunch of sets and I remember eagerly reading the product catalog every time it came in the mail. Every summer, after school let out, I would take apart all the sets I owned and try to create new vehicles and buildings, usually while watching the original Star Wars trilogy. I eventually gave all my blocks away minus a Technic Motorcycle and a Star Wars Jedi Starfighter but enough of my childhood. While they are a great tool for teaching creativity, following directions, architecture, etc, it seems they are becoming popular among adults as collector items. I think it is mostly the Star Wars sets because the really expensive ones are pretty authentic, meaning they look like the real thing. Or it could just be that we are all really nerdy and all the kids who liked Star Wars when they were kids are now growing up. I admit, I am a bit of a Star Wars fanboy and a geek and all that stuff, and still a kid at heart I suppose. But the Star Wars Super destroyer, the biggest lego set at 4 feet long, takes over a day to build, now that is sweet! And of course, because of my great interest in the Age of the Sail, ships of the line, etc, I have been eying the Queen Anne's Revenge from the Pirate of the Caribbean line.
 

In more serious news, back in the grown-up world, I am going back to work on Monday. Yeah, maybe it is not hiking the AT, maybe it is once again working for the man, with extra hours, office politics, bills, dress shirts, and all that stuff. It is NOT the simple life, but a man needs to eat (so does his wife). We need our own place, we need a new car, and we want babies. The man has health insurance, simple life does not. Well you can always buy health insurance but it will cost you an arm and a leg which would be hard to pay for without a job with the man. Its not ALL that bad, I need money to pay for my toys after all!

No comments: