Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Devils Hopyard

Connecticut is starting to grow on me. We live in the "country" but Norwich is ten minutes away. It is serene, peaceful, and quiet out here, with forest all around and a bubbling brook in the back. Yet if I want KFC/Taco Bell (an awesome combination), need something at Walmart, or want to go to the card shop, it is all right there. Then there are the great motorcycle roads. Lovely two lane back roads with a canopy of trees over head. I could ride for miles through these roads, passing farms and country stores. Lastly, there appears to be many cool state parks to explore. One such park is Devils Hopyard State Park.

We rode up to the Hopyard on Friday afternoon for a picnic lunch and to check out the waterfalls. The falls were pretty sweet and I daresay RI does not have falls like these. I could be mistaken though. There are several trails but being in riding gear we only did a short loop around the waterfall, including a short scramble up wet rock. A cool place that I want to explore more of, if I didn't keep getting up so late. Left to my natural state, I am obviously a night person. We ate lunch at some picnic tables on a grassy area right by 8 Mile River and it reminded me of our campsite on the second day of our AT trip. It was so peaceful and very beautiful. I immediately missed being on the trail, although I wonder what would have happened with the hurricane and all the rain. But such is life.




No comments: