Friday, July 29, 2011

Going Hiking!!!!

I am very excited today because we are going hiking!!! And we are going backpacking next weekend in NH!!! The extra exclamation marks are because I am very excited. We have not hiked in almost 2 weeks and I must say I am anxious to get back out there. Today we are going up to Blue Hills, just outside Boston, and will be doing 7 or 8 miles with full packs except sleeping pads (don't want people to think we are camping out you know!). The Blue Hills Reservation is close by, has an observation tower and other hills with good views of Boston, and the terrain has a lot of short up and down. None of the climbs are long, but we find it to be excellent training ground. Well, we tried to train there for our AT trip but most days the trail was covered in snow and ice, since it was March. Nonetheless, it should be fun seeing all the vegetation, and going hiking again. Then next Friday we will get to hit the real mountains up North.

Yesterday we went to the beach for a few hours. It was nice to relax but even on a weekday the beach is very crowded. I didn't see anybody staring at my caveman beard, but I am thinking that is because they were awed by Joyful in her black bikini, rocking the hiker body. Yeah, my hiker body doesn't really impress anybody...

No comments: