Saturday, July 30, 2011

8 Mile Road

You can just about see the Boston Skyscrapers in the distance
Our first hike back from the trail was a success! We hiked 8.0 miles of rocky terrain along the blue blazed Skyline trail with a slight detour along a yellow trail to see one of the two CCC towers and eat lunch at a picnic table. Unfortunately the tower was closed off (and full of graffiti). I had forgotten how rocky the trail really was and we had to use our hands to climb up in several spots. The longest climbs are only a few hundred feet but they are steep so I felt like we got a good work out. We were lucky weather wise as it was overcast and without the clouds the sun would have depleted our energy quickly. As it were though, we still sweat up a storm. 

It only took us 4.5 hours to complete the 8 miles and we would have done more had I not realized that Boston plus rush hour equals not a fun situation, especially with a manual transmission. The most fun would be on a bike, in traffic, with a passenger, which I have experienced many times. Balance is key Daniel-san. Anyways, our original goal was to hit the eastern end of the Skyline trail but we turned back with a mile to go. We usually park in the middle (where the bathroom is, which is very important when hiking with a woman) and travel in either direction, looping around and such, but we have not hiked the whole of the skyline trail which runs the length of the park. It gets boring to hike the same trail over and over again so we are trying to mix it up and even when we have seen all of that trail there are a lot of other trails to tackle.

On the way home we stopped to get soda and candy (skipped the ice cream this time) and I realized that most of my money has been spent on soda and candy. That was how it was on the trail, why should it be any different when I get home? Another thing about being home is showering. Sometimes I have to force myself to take a shower, especially if I have not done any physical activity that day. On the trail you only get a shower once a week or so and you get in the mindset that if I have not hiked, I am not dirty and thus do not need a shower. I guess it is all part of getting back to civilization!

No comments: