Saturday, December 17, 2011

Game of Thrones

I just finished watching Game of Thrones on HBO. Actually I don't have HBO. Or cable for that matter. But I do have the trump card: the Internet. In the past this meant watching it on your monitor or LCD. Well my 22" LCD is nice, but not nearly as nice as my 40" TV. Which would you rather watch something on? I can either use a VGA cable to hook up to my TV or I can copy AVI files to my PS3 for my viewing pleasure.

But back to Game of Thrones. I finished reading the book a little while ago and I really liked it. My brother recommended the HBO series so I started watching it and was really impressed. They did it in ten, hour long episodes which game them plenty of time to develop characters and tell the story exactly as the book did, with almost no literary license. The characters and speech were spot on and the visuals were great. It gave you that epic feeling like Lord of the Rings did. The only downfall is the amount of nudity, which was not really in the book. Perhaps this is just HBO being HBO though. I wish all book to "movie" adaptations could be done like this. Imagine Lord of the Rings as 30 hour-long episodes! You would get to see and experience so much more of the book. I will start reading the next book in the series soon and should finish by the time they make the next season in April.

 

No comments: