Monday, August 27, 2007

Why I dread getting my oil changed





For some reason I dread getting my oil changed. It was that time of the year yesterday. Well I should say one of the 4 times a year that I should get my oil changed-all things being normal. I was actually 3 weeks overdue for it, but I've been gone the past 2 weeks, so this was the weekend to get the dirty deed done.

Even the fact that I had a coupon for a free oil change didn't brighten my mood either.

I even told myself that if there was a line I wasn't going to do it. But luckily (or unluckily) there was no line.

So, on Sunday, around 3pm, I went to the Jiffy Lube on Route 2 to get my oil changed in my 2005 Dodge Neon SRT4.

As soon as I pull up, the oil dude starts eyeing my car.

When I get inside the waiting area I hear him drive into the garage. By hear him, I mean not only do I hear my dual exhaust, I hear many revs followed by the pshhhhhhhhhhhhh sound of the Mopar Blow off Valve I have installed. Every time I go to Jiffy Lube they make a point of revving the engine as many times as they can!

After a few mins they call "Dodge Neon" and I walk outside to talk to the dude.

"You going to keep using Synthetic?" he asks me.
"Of course" I say.
"This is a nice car you got here."
I nod my head. "Yup."
"Its a turbo isn't it?"
"Yes it is." Did he read that off my windshield sticker or actually check out the engine?
"You got a blow-off valve don't you?"
"Yes I do." What gave you that idea?

Then he tries to sell me on the usual stuff-new wiper blades, radiator flush, tire rotation, etc. No thank you.

Twenty mins later they are actually done. They usually only take 10 mins, but it looks like they had the usual Sunday crew they used to give me when I managed at BK, you know, the "B" team. Out of 4 people in the waiting area with me, there were 2 complaints.

But, I guess I can't complain, I got a $50 oil change for free with the coupon, even if it means a longer wait and the crappy job they do of vacuuming, etc. I think next time I might take it to the dealership, they don't go crazy everytime they see my car...

No comments: